What to Do if You Smell Gas
Propane gas has a strong, unpleasant smell like rotten eggs, a skunk’s spray, or a dead animal. Because propane is an odorless gas, manufacturers like DiSanto Propane add this smell deliberately to help alert customers in the event of a leak.
Not sure you’d recognize the smell of propane? Give DiSanto Propane a call at (800) 752-4574. We will be happy to send you a scratch-and-sniff brochure or let you smell the propane the next time we are filling your propane tank.
Do you know what to do if you think you smell propane? Follow these steps:
- NO FLAMES OR SPARKS. Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, electrical switches, telephones, or cell phones.
- LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect a propane leak.
- SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- REPORT THE LEAK. Be safe. Call 911 or your local fire department first. Then call DiSanto Propane right away from a neighbor’s home or another nearby building.
- DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until a Blue Flame Propane professional determines that it is safe to do so.
- GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, a qualified DiSanto Propane service technician or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free. Remember, propane safety first.
If you have questions at any time, DiSanto propane is here to help. The guidance and expertise of friendly and knowledgeable DiSanto Propane Energy Consultants can answer your questions and provide helpful energy recommendations. If you can’t find the answers you are looking for on this website, please call one of our customer service representatives toll-free at (800) 752-4574 during normal business hours. DiSanto Propane is here to help you in whatever way we can.