What You Need to Know About Propane
Propane is a very safe fuel, but as with any energy source, there are steps you should take to further ensure your safety.
- If you detect a gas leak, immediately evacuate everyone from the house and call your local fire department and then call your propane provider from a neighbor’s telephone.
- Learn what propane smells like. We offer a free scratch-and-sniff pamphlet to help you and your family recognize the distinctive odor of propane.
- Know where gas lines are located, so you won’t damage them when digging or working in the yard.
- Change or clean furnace filters regularly as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Don’t store cleaning fluids, oil-soaked rags, gasoline, or other flammable liquids near a gas-burning appliance where vapors could be ignited by the pilot light.
Industry Efforts to Safeguard Propane Use
GAS Check® is an inspection program developed by the National Propane Gas Association (NPGA) and the Propane Education & Research Council (PERC), and funded by PERC that provides guidelines to technicians on how to perform two different types of residential safety inspections:
- A “Gas System Check” which must be completed on the gas delivery system, including the containers, regulators, and appurtenances; and
- A “Gas Appliance System Check” which includes all of the items of a “Gas Systems Check” as well as on all propane-burning appliances. GAS Check® also educates homeowners on the safe use of propane and the maintenance of propane appliances.
Propane Safety Information Resources
- Small cylinder specific information
- Large tank specific information
- Carbon Monoxide Safety Information Brochure
- Safe grilling tips
- Safety Recommendations, Wildfire Season
- Storm Safety Tips
- Download important natural disaster information.
Become a New Customer
Choose DiSanto Propane as your propane provider and enjoy reliable delivery, dedicated customer service, fixed monthly stable propane pricing, and paperless billing. There’s never been a better time to switch to DiSanto Propane to reduce your energy costs.